Friday, August 8, 2008

stiff backs and falling stars

Did we harvest today??? Of course we did!!!

What did we harvest??? Of course we did!!! ...ooops. I mean...
A lot of stuff!!!

Lettuce
Leeks
Cilantro
Swiss Chard
Watermelon
Canteloupe
Beans
Summer Squash
Zucchini
Cucumbers
Eggplant (400+)
Peppers
Tomatoes

phew!!!!!

Can you believe that we are close to 32,000 lbs of produce harvested this season already?
I have trouble imagining 32 of anything, let alone 32,000.
Good stuff.

We would've harvested more tomatoes this afternoon had we not been chased off the field by very dark clouds that ultimately brought torrential rain. During the storm we cleaned garlic. A good rainy day "go to." That finished our workday.

Ooooooo.....

I forgot to mention yesterday that we saw meteors on Wednesday night. This is very exciting to me as (they were part of, and) August always means the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower. I have observed this shower every year since I was very young. 7 or 8 perhaps. My dad would wake us on the night of August 11-12 around 2 or 3am. We would sit on reclining lawn chairs in the backyard with blankets over us and stare skyward. Such wonder... and it hasn't faded. I'm always excited this time of year to catch a glimpse of a few (or many) falling stars.

Dig.

2 comments:

ljw said...

Ahhh, the meteor shower. I remember mistaking many a bat for falling stars. Good memories.

The Pajama Pundit said...

Yo. Over the weekend, the family and I were in the hometown. Out at her parents' place -- middle of nowhere -- no light pollution. Clear skies.

Absolutely awesome.

Saw a couple of satellites too.

-B