Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the first of the last

Today was our last Tuesday distribution.

However, the day began with harvesting. Actually that's not exactly true. The day began by rinsing carrots in the root washer. Cold windy rainy morning. Cold wet activities.
With 390lbs rinsed, we moved to harvesting.
Lettuce
Rutabaga
Parsley
...and did I happen to mention it was COLD and raining heavily? Ok, last time.

Pam joined us in the relative warmness of the front barn to pack the city shares for the last time this season:

1 Rutabaga
2 Butternut Squash
2 Heads Lettuce
1 Bunch Turnips
1 lb Beets
3/4 lb Chard (which is even more colorful in the fall. same plants. different colors)
2 1/2lb Potatoes (Yukon Gold)
1 lb Carrots
1 Celeriac
5 Onions
1 Garlic
1 Bunch Parsley

Quantity aaaand quality right through the end of October. Nice.

E ran distribution at the farm and I made the trip to the City.
The director at the remote site greeted me with hot apple cider (perfect today) and half-black, half-white icing cookies... only in New York.

Going back north on the parkway was not as "bad-weathery" as was forecast (though I saw a little bit of snow/rain-lookin stuff on the windshield for a few miles). Very happy about that. However, my mind was clearly on other things on my return trip as I missed my exit off the parkway.. for the first time all year. Funny... Regardless, E and I managed an accident free season making the weekly 140+ mile round trip. Very happy about that too.

aside: Before I forget, yesterday, what did we do???? That's right.. harvested... all day. Back to today...

Sooo. 3 1/2 working days left that I'm sure will pass in a blink. Here's to hoping they move slow enough to allow for some reflection.

Dig.

Ohh, btw, in exactly one week, everyone better have vOted.

No comments: