Thursday, October 16, 2008

dear blog:

I know I haven't posted in TEN days and for that I apologize.

Things have been great on the farm, no doubt. But, see, the thing is... we've been doing pretty much the same daily routine for a few months now, and with only 16 days left until I leave, my concentration has been elsewhere.
What I mean to say is that, instead of repeating myself on a daily basis online(i.e. "Today, we harvested x, y, and z..."), I've been putting my free evening time into three things which have become priorities for me: the bench, rest/eating, and following election news. Indeed. Priorities for me. Especially the first two.

The three big pieces of news in the past week have been:

1. H and I are now entertaining a second farming opportunity. Just checkin it out. I went for an "interview" last week and things went well. Good conversation and a farming situation that reads in large as a blank slate. The two of us will be going this weekend to check the place out and perhaps talk with the owner again.

2. We went hiking last Thursday with two past apprentices, Paige and Justin (who, btw, now run a successful CSA in Atlanta, GA). We hiked at Mohonk Preserve. Actually, it was roughly half hike, half climb. The views from the mountain top at the end of our journey were other-worldly. I'll post the pics in a separate post later.

3. Sadly, the car that we wanted so badly to fix up (the Jetta) will have to be passed on. The repairs would be a bit pricey and would not guarantee a running vehicle. Sooo... off it goes. Probably this weekend.

Aside from those two things, E and I were taken to dinner by Peter (the rock man) and Danielle, his wife. Good drinks, good food and most importantly, good company. Many thanks!! I'll miss both of them...

Also, the farm/fields are undergoing their Fall transformations. We're beginning to pull plants from the ground, put away irrigation, clean the greenhouse, sort the tools, etc. Only two weeks. Very hard to believe.

That brings me through today.

And yes, in addition to all that, we've been harvesting... pretty much every day. And still... I dig.

Some photos you say??

Indeed.





Okay. This is insane. These are rocks. While harvesting potatoes, I found the "bun". Not 3 minutes later, E found the pattie. ...insane.



And below: Pulling tomato plants.

Just pulled/piled.



After removal.



Dig.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

N, please do not give up farming to open a rock burger franchise:http://www.yellowpages.com/info-LMS71569440/Rock-Burger/maps?from=qpibp-nonmi