Monday, September 1, 2008

labor days

I've got a number of pics to post so I'll keep the words to a minimum.

Friday we harvested. Volunteers helped through the morning.
Arugula
Red Mustard
Goldenfrill



Dill
Cilantro
Parsley
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Potatoes (We finally pulled up the row of Cornell Co-Op Extension Trial potatoes. 15 different varieties. Some fared well. Adirondack Red/Blue. Marcy. Reba. Lehigh. Some not so well (riddled with Scab). Mostly Prince Harry.)
Squash
Zucchini
Cucumber
Peppers

Yep. That was a long one.

After work I moved straight to the bench project.
Made my first depth cuts with the chainsaw and ripped the first section off the deck.



While I was happy with the results, unfortunately the saw blades were very dull which made for about 3 times the work cutting out that piece. I remedied that today though. More later...

----

Saturday's distribution was solid. I was there the whole time too. Nice.











Picked up H for the weekend.

Later that evening we were invited to Gayle's (a star volunteer) house for some drinks and tasty food. Thank you! Thanks to Jada and Frank too!!



-----

Sunday was a late morning and a wonderful brunch. Eggs, toast, fresh fruit, coffee. Man...

In the afternoon, H and I cruised to Rhinebeck. We stopped in at the Beekman Arms Tavern for a glass of wine. Lovely place. Lovely wine.

When we got back to the farm we fired up the drip irrigation in Y. Broccoli, Cabbages, Rutabaga, Kale. Patched some small holes and were good.

Took an early night as I was crazy tired. Good to "catch up" on some sleep.

--------

Today we had a great turnout of volunteers for our Winter Squash Harvest. Quickly, the process:

Clip squash from plant with lopping shears.
Line squash up the length of the field.
Place squash in bin that sits on tractor forks.
Full bins get taken to the greenhouse.
Squash is placed on greenhouse tables to cure.

We processed 6,500 lbs of squash in 2.5 hours!! Go team!!

















With the day finished after lunch (Thanks D!), I concentrated on all things "bench." My first focus was to visit our neighbor who (as a longtime woodworker) has loads of hand carving tools. After explaining what I was doing, he gave me: an Adze (or as he calls it, The Devil's Shinhoe. Funny), a Scrub Plane, and a Slick.



These in concert with a little chainsawing should get pretty much all the way.

Back to the farm to sharpen the teeth on the chain saw.



With that done I tackled the log.

I sawed with much less effort. Yay. With another 1/4" to 1/2" of planing to do to get to my desired depth, I took the opportunity to feel out the three tools I was borrowing. They all require one's full attention and quite a bit of finessing. But all were surprisingly easy to cut and shape with.

Where things stood when I finished for the evening?









So happy to have the first cuts out of the way. Feeling a little more confident that I'll be able to coax what I see in my head from the log. A little trial and error and A LOT of patience.

Dig.

No comments: